Leo & Violet

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Head butts, measurements and birthing videos...oh my!

Every day, at school, I get questions about the "baby" in my belly - most days it's the SAME kids asking...
  • Do you have a baby in your belly?
  • Do you STILL have the baby in your belly?
  • HOW did it get there?
  • HOW will it come out?
  • WHEN will it come out?

These questions usually lead to some interesting conversations. My two favorite "preschool" conversations so far, have gone something like this...


Boy #1: What's in there? (Pointing to my belly)
Me: What do you think is in there?
Boy #1: Your lunch?!
Me: (giggling) No, it isn't my lunch...what else could be in there?
Boy #1: Umm...(thinking for a second or two)...snack?!

Boy #2: Do you still have that baby in there?
Me: Yes, I STILL have a baby in my belly.
Boy #2: It's getting bigger and bigger and bigger and bigger...
Me: It is getting bigger...the baby is growing.
Boy #2: Well, I think you better go to the doctor and push that thing out or you are going to pop!

Well - yesterday something new happened...I got head-butted in the belly by a kindergartener - HARD! After lunch, I went to his classroom to pick him up for speech - he walked right up to me - head butted me in the belly and said, "What's that!?!?" After he spent the next 20 minutes with me "discussing" why that was so innapropriate...and then every teacher, para, and special education teacher in the building "talked" to him and made him come to my room to apologize...I am pretty sure he was regretting it!

After school, Scott and I had our last monthly doctor's appointment - now we get to start going every 2 weeks! The baby's heartrate is still in the 140s and everything is looking great. I was right about the contractions I thought I might be having - they are Braxton Hicks. As long as I don't have more than 6 in an hour, I am fine. I am now measuring at 34 weeks (I am 29 weeks). Yikes! That is 5 weeks ahead of where I should be - and it is all sticking straight out! All Dr. Murdoch said was, "Well, we know you are going to have a bigger baby than a smaller person...you both are tall people. You will do just fine!"

To end the day with pleasant thoughts, Baby class #2 was last night...7:30-9:30. We watched birthing videos and talked about pain! (It may explain the dreams I had last night...) We also got to tour the birthing suites and recovery rooms at the hospital. Both Scott and I were pretty quiet when we got home last night...neither of us really knew what to say. The reality of this baby really having to come out is starting to hit us both...

Only 32 days of school left - 74 days until Baby Petro is here:)

3 Comments:

Blogger Kristine said...

Oh, how I remember worrying about the pain. Not sure how you feel about drugs, but my opinion is - get those drugs as soon as you can!! They are totally worth it and I completely enjoyed (yes, really) the rest of the experience after I was feeling no pain! :)

April 14, 2009 at 11:24 AM  
Blogger Braden said...

Yikes on the head butt! Never know what those crazy kids are going to do...! And I agree with Kristine, go for the drugs! I was hesitant at first, but the epidural I had was AMAZING! It really did make things a lot better. :)

April 14, 2009 at 9:34 PM  
Blogger Meg Reardon said...

Hilarious! I remember coming to the realization around the same time you are that at some point, this thing comes OUT. Uh oh. I agree with Kristine & Braden...DRUGS, DRUGS, and more DRUGS! Early & often! :-)

April 16, 2009 at 10:15 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home